Things to remember
For optimised and safe food storage, it is essential to follow these rules:
- Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly and to have cleaned all the tools and surfaces used for cutting and packing vacuum foods.
- If possible, use gloves for handling food.
- Once perishable food has been packaged, put it in the refrigerator or freeze immediately, maintaining a constant refrigeration or freezing temperature. Do not leave for a long time at room temperature.
- Place the containers of vacuum packed food properly in the refrigerator or freezer to allow food to quickly reach low temperatures.
- After opening canned or industry vacuum packed food, these can be vacuum re-packed. Follow instructions for refrigeration after opening and put food away after having vacuum re-packed.
- Pre-packaged foods must however be consumed by the expiry date indicated on the original product package.
- Consume perishable food once you have warmed up or defrosted it. Do not eat perishable food which has been left at room temperature for a long time. This is especially important if these have been prepared with a dense sauce, in a vacuum pack or in other environments with low oxygen content.
- Do not defrost food in boiling water or with other heat sources unless dealing with liquids (soups, juices, etc.).
- Vacuum packing will increase the shelf life of dried food. Food that is high in fat develops rancidity due to oxygen and heat. Vacuum packing will increase the shelf life of food such as nuts, coconut, or cereal. Store in a cool, dark place.
- Vacuum packing will not increase the shelf life of fruit or vegetables such as bananas, apples, potatoes or some vegetables, unless their skin has been removed before vacuum packing.
- Soft food or with a delicate structure (fish, berries, etc.) should be pre-frozen for one night before vacuum packing them and placing them definitively in the freezer.
- Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage emit gas when they are packed fresh in vacuums for refrigeration. To prepare these foods for vacuum packing, blanch and freeze them.
- For proper and safe vacuum packing , only use original MAGIC VAC® bags, containers and accessories.